Wednesday, December 31, 2008
MTR East Rail Fanling Station:
The commute now for me from my home to and from work via the train is now 1.5 hours each leg. Even so I think that I could not have made a better choice, the general quality of life is greatly improved, there is no noise or light pollution where I am (I can do allot of star gazing) and the fresh air is just amazing.
Inside a old Walled Village (Fanling)
Before my move I was surrounded by nothing but a concrete jungle, now I am surrounded by birds and trees and a designated country park which is just 10 minutes away from my door step. The nearest skyscrapers are at least a good 7-8 kM away so there is nothing higher then 3 storeys. Would I change my life style now, not for love or money. I love Fanling and am so happy I made the decision to move to the country side.
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.
For many centuries, Quan Yin has represented and epitomized the great ideal of Mahayana Buddhism in her role as "bodhisattva (Chinese "p'u-sa)--literally "a being of Bodhi, or enlightenment," who is destined to become a Buddha but has foregone the bliss of Nirvana with a vow to save all children of God.
Quan Yin carries the Goddess and Divine Mother aspect of Buddhism. The same Goddess and Divine energy carried by the Virgin Mary in Christianity. In the Egypt such a Goddess is represented by Isis. In Hinduism represented by Shakti, wife of Vishnu, by Parvarti, wife of Shiva, by Radha, wife of Krishna, and by Sita, wife of Rama.
Quan Yin's name is a translation of the Sanskrit name of her chief progenitor which is Avalokitesvara, also known as Avalokita. In its proper form it is Kuanshih Yin, which means "She who harkens to all the cries of the world."
In Korea, Japan, and China she is called Quan Yin. She is a celestial bodhisattva and an ascended master. One of her jobs in the celestial spheres is to sit on the board of the Lord of Karma.
Buddhist mythology tells of Avalokitesvara's being born from a ray of light that sprang from Amitabha Buddha's right eye. He immediately said, "Om Mane Padme Hum". This is one of the mantras by which he can be invoked in Buddhist tradition.
Avalokitesvara came to be known by most Tibetans as Buddha's earthly representation and as chief guardian of the dharma (doctrine) until the advent of Maitreya Buddha.
Avalokitesvara and Quan Yin are embodiments of compassion.
She is roughly equivalent to Green Tara in Tibetan Buddhism.
In Tibetan Buddhism Quan Yin is seen in her male form as Avalokitesvara. Some feel that the current Dali Lama is an incarnation of Avalokitesvara. It is thought that the female form of Avalokitesvara, Quan Yin, originated in the twelfth or thirteenth century in both China and Japan.
The fountain pen which has exquisitely reproduced a reproduction of Quan Yin known in her Chinese form, the craftsmanship of this fountain pen is truly splendid. The details for the pen are as follows:-
- Nib : Medium-Fine Nib ,Gold plated
- Length : 128 mm
- Converter ：Screw -type
- Ink cartridge : international standard
- Accessories : Instruction manual and gift box
- Cap : Screw type
- Article gross weight : 450 G ( Approximate)
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
*Fountain pen- Medium width plated Iridium point stainless steel nib.
*Hand crafted 8-faceted All Natural Dark Sea Shell barrel and 10-faceted All Natural Dark Sea Shell cap (black cabochon on top).
*Top quality Natural Dark Sea Shell (Abalone).
*Platinum (.999 Platinum) plated metal fittings.
Size of the pen:
Size of the pen capped:
The cans are meant for portable use and can fold up very nicely similar to the portable Sony's and Audio Technica's. The HS-62 are silver in color with a plastic case and extremely thick and comfortable ear pads. What was immediately evident was the comfort. The 3.5mm stereo connector is of robust build and gold plated.
Specifications and Key Features:
- Hi-Fi Stereo quality for music listening;
- Stylish foldable headband design for ease of storage;
- Industry standard 3.5mm stereo jac which is gold plated;
- Cable Legth is 2m;
- Frequency response is 20-20000Hz;
- Sensitivity >100dB;
- Impedance is 32 Ohms;
- Maximum power input is 100 mW;
- Transducers - no information given;
- Closed back Dynamic.
Reviewing CD and Tracks: Custom made by ripping songs to FLAC than normalized/burnt via Nero9.
★---------Not worth it
Earphones: Nokia HS-62. Closed back dynamic design
Transducer: No information specified, would guess they are 30mm neodymium magnets.
Spec: 32 Ω | 20Hz~ 20kHz | 100 dB/mW Cord Style: 2m, length, Ø3.5mm mini stereo, gold-plated.
Mini Jack Style: Gold plated, sturdy build.
Case: Plastic silver,
Packaging: ★★★ (Typical Nokia bland packaging)
Build Quality: ★★★★ (good medium build)
Accessories: ★★ (No accessories, no adapter, not even a storage pouch - they could do better)
Comfort: ★★★★ (Really excellent thick comfortable ear pads)
Soundstage: ★★★★ (impressed with sound stage presentation)
Sound Quality: ★★★★★ ( Very impressed extremely musical, good bass, mids - treble is good, overall well balanced)
Value: ★★★★★ ( In my view this is money well spent and good quality for money)
Remarks: A pleasing and well balanced sound, bass is clean and tight. Well done Nokia, you could however include a carrying pouch!
Monday, December 29, 2008
I have just added a series of links for different brands of fountain pens and writing instruments which can be found on the right hand side menu if you scroll down. The list is of course not exhaustive.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Chicken - 1.5 lbs, boneless skinless thighs
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Red Chili Powder - to taste
Salt - to taste
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Ginger & Garlic Paste - 4 tsp
Tandoori Masala - 2 tsp
Unsalted Butter - 1.5 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Big Cardamom - 1
Green Cardamom - 2
Cinnamon Stick - 1″ pc.
Bay Leaf - 1
Tomatoes - 3 large, pureed
Sugar - 1 tsp or to taste
Dried Methi Leaves (Kasoori Methi) - 1 tbsp
Green Chili - to taste, finely chopped
Heavy Whipping Cream - 1 cup or to taste
Cilantro - 3 sprigs, finely chopped
1. Cut the Chicken to bite-size pieces and wash it well.
2. In a bowl (or large Ziplock bag) add the following - Lemon Juice, 2 tsps of Ginger & Garlic Paste, Tandoori Masala, Red Chili Powder, Salt and Yogurt.
3. Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator overnight for best results or atleast a couple of hours.
4. Grease a broiler dish with ghee, oil or cooking spray and layer the Chicken in a single layer. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on it as every oven varies. The size of the chicken pieces makes a difference and where you place the rack in the oven plays a big role in how long the chicken needs to be cooked.
5. For the gravy, in a medium size pan on medium heat, melt and heat the Butter.
6. Once hot, add the Cardamoms, Bay Leaf and Cinnamon Stick. Fry for 1 minute.
7. Add the balance of Ginger and Garlic paste and fry of 30 secs.
8. Add in the Green Chilis and the Tomato Puree. Mix well.
9. Add in the Salt, Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala and mix well.
10. Allow it to come to a boil and then lower the heat and let the gravy simmer for 10 minutes till most of the juice from the tomatoes evaporates.
11. Add in the Sugar and the Dried Methi Leaves and allow it to cook for another 2 minutes before adding broiled Chicken pieces. Mix well to coat Chicken.
12. Add the Whipping Cream, mix and allow it to come to a boil and take it off the flame.
13. At this point, do a taste test and adjust the salt, sugar and the liquid in the gravy.
14. Mix in half the Cilantro in the dish and garnish the balance while serving.
1. Don’t have access to a broiler dish? - no problem…use metal skewers or wooden ones(soaked) or just barbeque them on the grill.
2. Great alternatives to making this dish everyday and not feeling guilty about it -
* Use Chicken Breast instead of Chicken Thighs, but make sure you baste the Chicken Breasts while broiling or they will dry up.
* Use Oil instead of Butter.
* Substitutes for Heavy Whipping Cream - Half and Half, Evaporated Milk, Lactaid, Milk or Milk Powder (so you can control the water).
There are three main types of omega-3 fatty acids that are absorbed through foods and used by the body: Alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). Once ingested, our bodies convert ALA to EPA and DHA, the two types of omega-3 fatty acids more readily used by our body. In depth research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and help prevent risk factors associated with chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. These essential fatty acids are highly concentrated in the brain and appear to be particularly important for cognitive (brain memory and performance. Indications of omega-3 fatty acid deficiency include symtoms of extreme tiredness (fatigue), poor memory, dryness of the skin, heart problems, mood swings or depression, and poor circulatory functions.
It is therefore highly important to maintain an appropriate in-take of omega-3 in the diet. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
- Size: 46 mm by 46 mm by 13 mm, dial diameter: 41 mm
- Functions: hours, minutes, seconds, date, Fully Functional Chronograph.
- Case: Stainless steel
- Dial: black, date window at 9, three subdials, white Arabian numerals
- Mineral-crystal glass.
- Strap / Bracelet: Genuine leather.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
|Frequency Response||10 ~ 23,000Hz|
|Maximum Input Power||500 mW|
|Connector||Ø3.5mm mini stereo, gold-plated|
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Main Specifications for MDR-710 Portable Headphones:
- Dynamic Type: Yes
- Capacity (W): 1.0
- Driver unit (mm): 30.0
- Diaphragm: PET
- Frequency (Hz): 12 - 24,000
- Sensitivity (dB/mW): 106.0
- Magnet: 300 kJ/m3 Neodymium
- Impedance (Ohm): 24.0
- Volume control: No
- Foldable: Yes
- Cord type: OFC Both-sided
- Cord length (m): 1.2
- Plug: Gold plated Straight stereo mini plug
- Weight (g): 65.0
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Looking on the web, I found the following suggested headphone burn-in times. Not my opinion, but for reference purposes only:
1. AKG K271Studio 320 hours before serious listening
2. AKG K181DJ 50 hours before serious listening
3. AKG K324P 150 hours before serious listening
4. AKG K412P 540 hours before serious listening
5. AKG K414P 175 hours before serious listening
6. AKG K416P 180 hours before serious listening
7. AKG K518DJ 200 hours before serious listening
8. AKG K701 439 hours before serious listening
9. Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 500 hours before serious listening
10. Audio-Technica ATH-CM7Ti 683 hours before serious listening
11. Audio-Technica ATH-EC700 101 hours before serious listening
12. Audio-Technica ATH-EM9r 100 hours before serious listening
13. Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 100 hours before serious listening
14. Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700 120 hours before serious listening
15. Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 100 hours before serious listening
16. BeyerDynamic DT 231 Galactic 100 hours before serious listening
17. BeyerDynamic DT 235 175 hours before serious listening
18. BeyerDynamic DT 770 M 100 hours before serious listening
19. BeyerDynamic DT 770 PRO 175 hours before serious listening
20. BeyerDynamic DT 860 1100 hours before serious listening
21. BeyerDynamic DT 880 PRO 200 hours before serious listening
22. Denon AH-C551K 375 hours before serious listening
23. Denon AH-C700 100 hours before serious listening
24. Denon AH-D1001 100 hours before serious listening
25. Etymotic ER-4S 100 hours before serious listening
26. GRADO Alessandro MS One 160 hours before serious listening
27. GRADO Alessandro MS Pro 180 hours before serious listening
28. GRADO Alessandro MS Two 200 hours before serious listening
29. GRADO GS 1000 625 hours before serious listening
30. GRADO iGrado 50 hours before serious listening
31. GRADO SR 325i 190 hours before serious listening
32. GRADO SR 60 100 hours before serious listening
33. GRADO SR 80 150 hours before serious listening
34. KOSS MV1 500 hours before serious listening
35. KOSS PORTAPRO 400 hours before serious listening
36. KOSS PRO4AAAT 400 hours before serious listening
37. KOSS QZ99 200 hours before serious listening
38. KOSS UR20 50 hours before serious listening
39. KOSS UR40 100 hours before serious listening
40. Sennheiser CX300 30 hours before serious listening
41. Sennheiser CX500 170 hours before serious listening
42. Sennheiser HD201 50 hours before serious listening
43. Sennheiser HD205 200 hours before serious listening
44. Sennheiser HD215 700 hours before serious listening
45. Sennheiser HD280 pro 200 hours before serious listening
46. Sennheiser HD435 250 hours before serious listening
47. Sennheiser HD457 100 hours before serious listening
48. Sennheiser HD515 150 hours before serious listening
49. Sennheiser HD555 150 hours before serious listening
50. Sennheiser HD580 300 hours before serious listening
51. Sennheiser HD595 150 hours before serious lsitening
52. Sennheiser HD600 260 hours before serious listening
53. Sennheiser HD650 250 hours before serious listening
54. Sennheiser MX560-B 30 hours before serious listening
55. Sennheiser PX100 500 hours before serious listening
56. Sennheiser PX200 220 hours before serious listening
57. Sennheiser PXC300 740 hours before serious listening
58. Sennheiser PXC350 400 hours before serious listening
59. Shure E2c 50 hours before serious listening
60. Shure E3c 100 hours before serious listening
61. Shure E4c 1000 hours before serious listening
62. Shure E500PTH/SE530 500 hours before serious listening
63. Sony MDR-D777 350 hours before serious listening
64. Sony MDR-EX90LP 170 hours before serious listening
65. Sony MDR-NC22 40 hours before serious listening
66. Sony MDR-SA5000 300 hours before serious listening
67. Sony MDR-V700DJ 50 hours before serious listening
68. Sony MDR-V900HD 370 hours before serious listening
69. Sony MDR-XD400 1000 hours before serious listening
70. Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 studio 200 hours before serious listening
71. Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro 560 hours before serious listening
72. Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 pro 650 hours before serious listening
73. WESTONE UM1 60 hours before serious listening
74. WESTONE UM2 90 hours before serious listening
75. WESTONE Westone 3 240 hours before serious listening
For burn in I use the XLO burn in CD.
But if you don't have a pair in your collection, I really wonder why? Here are some photos and their specs.
Rate input 10mw
Max. input 30mw
Feequency response: 20Hz ~ 18KHZ
New design driver unit for exclusive use of the limited edition.
High-purity OFC-7N*1 bobbin type voice coil reproduces the subtle details with ease.
Permalloy magnetic circuit.
Aluminium housing eliminates unwanted vibrations.
Four-core Y-cord (dual-sided type) adopts an elastomer sheath to prevent entanglement.
DADS*2 (PAT.P.) structure achieves more linear sound.
Comfortable, total ear-fit design reduces the feeling of tightness.
3D wing support (PAT.) provides greater comfort and better fitting.
Artificial leather Clarion*3 ear pads ensure comfort.
|Driver Diameter||53mm, OFC7N|
|Frequency Response||5 ~ 40,000Hz|
|Maximum Input Power||2,000mW|
|Connector||Ø6.3 / Ø3.5 mm gold-plated stereo plug|
|Cable||TPE /3.0 m|
|Frequency range:||TX: 10-160 m + WARC|
RX: 0.1-30 MHz
|RF Power output:||Max 100 W (AM 25 W)|
|Voltage:||13.8 VDC +/- 15%|
|Current drain:||RX: 2 A |
|Impedance:||50 ohms, SO-239|
|Dimensions (W*H*D):||330*120*334 mm|
Friday, December 12, 2008
|Coverage||100 kHz - 2.6 GHz|
|Steps||CW/SSB: 20/100/500 Hz, 1/5 kHz|
WFM: 10/50/100/500 kHz
|Sensitivity||As specified in the manual:|
0.2 - 0.49998 MHz
0.5 - 1.79998 MHz
1.8 - 3.99998 MHz
4.0 - 29.99998 MHz
28.0 - 29.99998 MHz
30.0 - 1999.99998 MHz
2000.0 - 2599.99998 MHz
AM/CW/SSW = 10dB S/N
FM/WFM = 12dB SINAD
Quadruple (all others)
|IFs||1 = 614 MHz|
2 = 45.775 MHz
3 = 10.7 MHz
4 = 455 kHz
|Computer intf||Yes, RS-232|
|Timers||On, Off, Alarm, Sleep|
|Power||13.5V DC, 700mA|
|Audio||1.0 W typical|
|Size||7.1"(W) x 2.7"(H) x 8"(D)|
180 (W) x 70 (H) x 203 (D)
Features include: RF Attenuator, Preselector, Fine Tuning, Tone Control and dual time zone digital clock timer with remote recorder activation jacks on the rear panel. The front panel includes a headphone and record jack. The side of the radio has a carry handle. The back panel has antenna inputs for coaxial input or wire antennas.
Frequency Range ...... 250 - 29900 kHz
Power ................ 100/110/117/200/220/234 VAC 50/60 Hz
Antenna Impedance .... 50 ohms
Selectivity (-6dB) ... AM 6.0 kHz, SSB/CW 3 kHz
Sensitivity .......... 0.7 µV 2-30 MHz, SSB/CW (S+N/N=10dB)
Freq. Stability ...... ±500Hz per 30 minutes after warm-up
Audio Output ......... 2 Watts at 4 Ohms.
Dimensions ........... 14.3 x 5 x 11.5 inches (360x125x295 mm)
Weight ............... 16 Lbs. (7 kg)
- Cast aluminum housing
- Emergency siren
- Machine bolt treatment
- Built-in AM/FM/Shortwave aerial antenna
- Crank handle magnetic locking system
- 22 GMRS (General Mobile Radio System)/FRS (Family Radio System) channels
- 121 privacy codes (38 CTCSS / 83 DCS)
- AM/FM receiver
- VOX (Voice operated transmission)
- NOAA weather radio and NOAA weather alert
- Siren and Flashlight
- Can be powered from four different sources:
- Rechargeable Ni-MH battery
- Dynamo crank alone
- 4 “AA” batteries
- AC Adapter (included)
- Cell-phone charging jack
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point Customized 3B Cursive Italic
Namiki Sterling Silver Collection Fine Gift Pen
Refilling the Namiki Falcon
The Olympus OM-30
The Olympus OM-10